Hockey Canada says it needs to “do more” when it comes to fostering a culture of safety in sport.
The national organization released a brief statement Thursday after the federal government froze funding in response to its handling of an alleged sexual assault and an out-of-court settlement.
Sports Minister Pascale St-Onge said Wednesday Hockey Canada would only see its public funding restored after it provided an incomplete report from a third-party law firm hired to investigate the alleged incident four years ago. years involving eight players at a gala in London. , Have.
St-Onge added that the national sports body must also become a signatory to the Office of the Integrity Commissioner, a new government agency with the power to independently investigate complaints of abuse and impose sanctions. .
Hockey Canada spokesperson Esther Madziya acknowledged the minister’s conditions, adding that the organization recognizes “that as leaders we need to do more.”
Hockey Canada President Scott Smith and outgoing CEO Tom Renney were challenged by lawmakers on Parliament Hill earlier this week during a meeting of the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage on the organization’s management of the alleged incident in London.
orignal news from, CTV News Sports