HomeInternationalOptus data breach: data handed over to the government OCN News
- Advertisment -

Optus data breach: data handed over to the government OCN News

- Advertisment -

Optus handed over data to Services Australia nearly a fortnight after a massive data breach became known.
Labor leader Bill Shorten confirmed the federal government agency had received the data on Tuesday and was evaluating it to see what could be learned from it.

“We shouldn’t have to play hide and seek and wait until day 13 to get materials,” he told reporters in Canberra.

“What it’s about is that the horse is locked. We’re trying to close the door.

“All that motivates me is…to get the information to prevent hackers from hacking into government data and further compromising people’s privacy.”

How many health insurance and passport details were part of the Optus leak?

Mr. Shorten said Optus had revised its estimates to 50,000 compromised Medicare records and 150,000 passports.
He called on the company to be more forthcoming with information.
Optus’ Singaporean parent company, Singtel, said it had hired lawyers in case it faces a class action lawsuit over the hack, involving the compromise of the personal data of more than 10 million customers.
In a statement to the Singapore Stock Exchange on Monday, Singtel said it had not received any legal notice of a class action, but such a move would be “vigorously defended”.

The company also said it wanted to clarify media reports about potential fines or other costs related to the September 22 incident.

“Singtel views these reports as speculative at this stage and advises against reliance on them,” he said.

How did Optus react to the data breach?

Optus revealed on Monday that more than two million customers had their identification documents exposed during the data breach.
The telecommunications giant has launched an independent study conducted by the consulting firm Deloitte on the circumstances surrounding the data hack.
Optus chief executive Kelly Bayer Rosmarin recommended the review, saying the company was committed to rebuilding trust with customers.
Several government ministers criticized the company’s response to the incident and its failure to quickly notify customers or the government of personal details that had been compromised.

Attorney General Mark Dreyfus said he would review Australia’s privacy laws and stronger protections could be in place by the end of the year.

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular